Porting specialist Aspyr and Lucasfilm Games have announced that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 will be getting a release on Nintendo Switch this June 8th, complete with HD enhancements to make the game look and feel a little more modern.
The sequel to the original Knights of the Old Republic was originally released back on the original Xbox and PC, and in recent years it has been ported to iOS and Android devices. Unlike other more recent Aspyr ports, Knights of the Old Republic 2 has only been announced for Nintendo Switch – there’s no word on a PS4, PS5, or Xbox release. However, none of Aspyr’s recent Star Wars re-releases have released on Xbox anyway – most of the re-releases are already available on Xbox as digital downloads. Still, it’s a little disappointing for PlayStation owners wanting more Star Wars in their life. Maybe at a later date?
While Knights of the Old Republic 2 is a sequel to the original game, you don’t need to play through the original to enjoy the story as it stands alone as a completely separate entity and is a sequel only in name. That said, it’s just as good as the original, even if it plays a dangerous game by arming you with nothing but rocks for the first couple of hours…
What’s really interesting about this re-release is that there will be a new, alternative ending that will be available as free DLC after the game has released. Some things are worth waiting 20 years for…
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 will release on the Nintendo eShop on June 8th. Pre-orders are available now with the game costing $14.99/£14.99/14.99€. If you want the complete package that includes the first game, you can pre-order the bundle for $29.99/£29.99/29.99€.
- A Standalone Sequel: Experience the follow-up to the acclaimed STAR WARS™: Knights of the Old Republic™ in this original RPG epic set in the darkest days of the Old Republic.
- Choose Your Destiny: Discover your past and make difficult choices that aren’t as clear-cut as “good or evil.” Each decision can have a significant impact on your story and your squad. Will you uphold the Jedi Order, or lead the galaxy to ruin?
- Master the Force: Choose from three different Jedi classes, each able to wield specific Force powers, and customize your characters with unique skills and abilities.
- Lead Your Crew: Command a party of diverse crewmates, each with their own strengths, alignments and nuanced back stories. Your actions will influence your crew’s destinies, but not everyone may agree with the choices you make…
- The Sith Lords Restored Content DLC: Expand your experience even further with this incredible collection of content featuring new crew dialogue and interactions, a bonus mission starring HK-47, and a new revamped ending, coming as free DLC post-launch.